Saturday, July 16, 2022

NigerianEye: “God will judge between Nigerian Christians, Tinubu – Ex-SGF, Lawal” plus 29 more

NigerianEye: “God will judge between Nigerian Christians, Tinubu – Ex-SGF, Lawal” plus 29 more


God will judge between Nigerian Christians, Tinubu – Ex-SGF, Lawal

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 03:55 AM PDT

 


A former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and chieftain of the All Progressive Congress (APC), Dr Babachir Lawal has declared that God of justice and equity, through the Nigerian voters, will decide the victor between Christians and Bola Tinubu's Muslim-Muslim ticket for APC in the 2023 presidential election.

 

The elder statesman insisted that Tinubu has proved to be daring and uncaring for the Nigerian Christians in the general election and thereafter.

 

The former SGF made the declaration on Saturday in a fresh press statement in reaction to the final submission of a Muslim politician by Tinubu as his running mate in the 2023 presidential poll.

 

The statement obtained by NigerianEye reads in part, "I did say it: those the gods want to destroy they first make mad.

 

"Tinubu has thrown down the gauntlet. He has submitted Alhaji Kashim Shetima as his nominee. He has stood by his affirmation that he only requires Moslem votes to be President and for all he cares, Christians can all go to hell with their votes.

 

"This is his position and he has a right to it. I concede to him.

 

"We have picked up this gauntlet. The God of justice and equity through the Nigerian voters will decide the victor between the Nigerian Christians, Alhaji Tinubu and his party, the APC.

 

"This is our country and we will not let Alhaji Ahmed Bola Tinubu relegate us, our children and our religion to second class status in our own country.

 

"For us, this is an existential crises. Our rights to justice and peaceful co-existense with all practitioners of other religions is under threat.

 

"A northern Nigerian Christian child deserves to be bequeathed a future in which he can aspire to be President or Vice President of Nigeria.

 

"The Bible supports our position and the Nigerian Constitution supports and even guarantees it.

 

"Come on Alhaji Tinubu! Come on APC!

 

"Again, 'to your tents o Israel.' The Bible records a time like this in history:

 

"1 Chronicles 12: 32: 'From the tribe of Issachar, there were 200 leaders of the tribe with their relatives. All these men understood the signs of the times and knew the best course for Israel to take,".

 

Lawal, who is one of the closest allies of the APC presidential candidate and former Lagos State governor, Bola Ahmed Tinubu has consistently warned the APC and Tinubu against any attempt to adopt Muslim-Muslim ticket for the coming election.

 

To demonstrate his vehement opposition, he wrote four personal letters to Tinubu counselling him on the consequences of going for Muslim-Muslim ticket at the expense of the Nigerian Christians in the Northern region.

 

However, the counseling fell on deaf ears following the final submission of Kashim Shetima, a Muslim and former governor of Borno State by Tinubu to the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, as his running mate in the next year's presidential election.

 

Osun election: People are rejecting money left, right – Davido

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 03:28 AM PDT

 


Nigerian music star, David Adedeji Adeleke, popularly known as Davido has expressed hope that the ongoing governorship election in Osun State would be free and fair.

 

In a tweet on his verified Twitter handle, the award winning music star revealed that the electorates are rejecting monetary offers from parties intending to buy their votes.

 

The Fem track crooner said the ongoing exercise in Osun State has signaled hope for the nation.

 

He wrote, "People rejecting money being offered to them left and right in the State today … GREAT TO SEE … there is stilll hope for Nigeria".

 

Davido's uncle who is the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, flagbearer, Ademola Adeleke, has cast his vote.

Osun poll: We’re monitoring happenings – EFCC

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 03:28 AM PDT

 


Some operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission have said they were observing happenings in the ongoing Osun governorship poll.

 

About six operatives of the agency had arrived at Saint Peters Primary School Ward 1, Unit 1, Iragbiji, Osun state, when voting was in progress.

 

Upon arrival, one of the operatives that were approached by our correspondent referred him to the leader of the team, who simply said, "we are here to observe and monitor happenings. No arrest yet."

 

The said official, a woman however declined to mention her name and refused to comment further despite repeated efforts to get further clarification from her.

 

Also at Ward 1 Unit 2, Popo, Iragbiji, where Governor Adegboyega Oyetola voted, officials of EFCC were also sighted.

Transfer: Arsenal agree deal for another Man City star after Gabriel Jesus

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 02:48 AM PDT


Arsenal have reached an agreement to sign Oleksandr Zinchenko.


This was confirmed by transfer expert, Fabrizio Romano, on Saturday morning.


According to him, the fee is around £30million and Zinchenko is now negotiating personal terms with the Gunners.


Romano tweeted: "Arsenal and Manchester City have now reached verbal agreement in principle for Oleksandr Zinchenko, fee around £30m. Personal terms are still discussed.


"Salary and length of contract, in negotiation – key step to complete the agreement."


Arsenal have already done business with City before this summer, as they both shook hands on a £45m deal for Gabriel Jesus.


Zinchenko, 25, is viewed primarily as a player to bolster Mikel Arteta's midfield and could be utilised at left back when required.

2023: Methodist Prelate, Kanu-Uche reveals presidential candidate he will support

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 02:46 AM PDT


The Prelate of the Methodist Church Nigeria, Samuel Kanu-Uche has identified the presidential candidate he will support in 2023.


Kanu-Uche said he would only support a presidential candidate who doesn't engage in vote-buying.


The Prelate disclosed this on Friday at the graduation ceremony of 160 members of the church in Enugu diocese, who were trained on various vocational skills, NAN reports.


Kanu-Uche, who did not name any presidential candidate, cautioned Nigerians against selling their votes.


According to the cleric, politicians who engage in vote-buying have nothing to offer Nigerians.


"I know that most of the candidates have nothing to offer, but any presidential candidate that shares money will not receive my vote.


"Only those who have no money to share but offer themselves for service will get my vote," he said.

Why I jumped queue to vote – Adeleke

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 03:29 AM PDT

 


The Peoples Democratic Party governorship candidate, Ademola Adeleke, has justified why he jumped the queue at his polling units to cast his ballot on Saturday.

 

The  PDP candidate cast his vote at Unit 009, Ward 02, Abogunde/Sagba, Ede North in Osun state.

 

Fielding questions from journalists on why he jumped the queue to vote ahead of those he met at the polling unit, the former lawmaker said that happened because the people loved him.

 

"It was the people that invited me to come forward and cast my ballot. They asked me to step forward and go the front."

 

Asked if that is how he will continue without "regard for the common man" when he gets to the office,  he said, "You can see me; I love my people. And that will not stop when elected," he said.

 

On the election process and the Independent National Electoral Commission's preparedness for the poll, he said the process was "fantastic".

 

He said with the feelers he was getting across the state, calmness was the order of the day and he expects the situation to remain the same till the end of the electoral process.

 

On rumoured vote-buying by political opponents, he said the process was just starting and he hopes they would remain rumours.

 

"We want this election to be a point of contact for 2023. The whole world is watching us and this is going to be a test for us all. So, let Osun people decide who they want," he said.

Controversy over alleged arrest of Oyetola commissioner’s aide

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 02:36 AM PDT

 


Controversy has surrounded the alleged arrest of the Personal Assistant of the Commissioner for Regional Integration and Special Duties, Olalekan Badmus.

 

It was gathered that the PA was allegedly detained at the Oke Baale Police Station but the commissioner denied the allegation.

 

When contacted, the Osun State Police Public Relations Officer, Opalola Yemisi, promised to get back to our correspondent on the matter.

 

In a viral post, the commissioner's PA was said to be arrested with thumbprinted ballot papers.

 

"The Personal Assistant to Hon. Lekan Badmus (Commissioner for Special Duties) of Osun State has just been arrested with thumb printed ballots and a bag full of money for vote buying.

 

"He is been called has been handed over to the police and currently cooling off in the cell of Oke Baale Police Station. We admonished the people to be extremely vigilant," the post read.

 

Reacting in a statement, the commissioner described the alleged arrest as a "shock".

 

The statement was titled, 'News of my personal assistant caught with thumbprinted ballot papers, fake totally untrue'.

 

It read, "I wish to emphatically state that myself, and every other person working closely with me have not engaged in any activities to sabotage the integrity of this on-going election.

 

"It is rather a rude shock to me that some mischief makers have been spreading false information online that my Personal Assistant was caught with thumbprinted ballot papers in Osogbo ward 2 and had been handed over to the security agents. This is completely untrue.

 

"I am a man of integrity who believes in hardwork and not cheap means to success. The claim that I was, by extension, involved in electoral malpractice contradicts the value I stand for.

 

"Members of the public are hereby urged to disregard any claim or accusation of sorts suggesting that I and the people working with me were involved in electoral fraud."

Osun Decides: Anxiety as electorates storm polling units

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 02:36 AM PDT



Election Day in Osun has started with relative peace, as voters have been observed conducting themselves in an orderly manner as they wait to cast their votes in the Osun gubernatorial election.


Recall that on Friday, July 16, 2022, there was slight apprehension when the Osogbo NURTW chairman, Kazeem Oyewale, aka Asiri Eniba, was arrested by a detachment of the Nigerian Army at his Ojurin, Old Garage office.


Oyewale was later paraded in the evening by the Osun State Police Command, alongside some of his boys who were also arrested.


His arrest, many speculated, may have been due to the many complaints by the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) that Oyewale was instrumental in unleashing violence in most parts of the State capital, Osogbo.


Also, an angry Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji Larooye threatened to lay curse on the Osogbo NURTW boss when suspected thugs believed to be under his directive attacked the PDP entourage as it paid a visit to the monarch in his palace in Osogbo.


At Ward 4, Polling Units 17, 18, 19, 20, as of the time of filing this report, accreditation of voters had started.


Voters, who spoke with newsmen, expressed optimism that the exercise would be peaceful without any case of violence.

Top NDDC official kidnapped by gunmen in Imo

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 02:32 AM PDT


A senior official of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) Engr Kingsley Okorafor has been kidnapped close to his residence in Umuadara Umulogho autonomous community in Imo State.


It was gathered that the dare-devil armed men abducted him at the early hours of Saturday morning, about three kilometers away from a military checkpoint in the area.


The traditional ruler of the community, Eze Patrick Uwalaka has already confirmed the latest development.


A source close to the family told newsmen that the NDDC official attended a vigil of late Eze Innocent Anyawu, the Traditional Ruler of Ndihu autonomous community in Obowo LGA, whose burial is slated for today, Saturday July 16.


He said the victim was trailed after he left the vigil to his community, while his car was left behind.


The suspected kidnappers have not yet reached the family members for any ransom as of the time of filling this report.


Efforts to get the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) CSP Mike Abattam for reaction on telephone failed.

OsunDecides: INEC rolls out emergency numbers

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 02:31 AM PDT

 


The Independent National Electoral Commission has rolled out numbers to call should there be any emergency during the ongoing Osun State governorship election.

 

The electoral umpire tweeted this to its verified Twitter page Saturday morning.

 

The tweet read, "OsunDecides2022

 

 "In case of EMERGENCY, please call INEC on: 0700-2255-4632, 09050858629, 09084444333.

 

"Shun Violence and VOTE Peacefully."

'I was born with sickle cell disease, begged God to take my life' - Adekunle Gold

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 02:29 AM PDT


Nigerian music star Adekunle Gold has revealed that he was born with sickle cell anemia.

The singer made this known in his latest newsletter released to fans on Friday, July 15, 2022.

"It feels liberating to finally be able to share this part of my life with you, to finally be able to speak my truth. When I talk about how I struggled to get to where I am today, I need you to know that my struggle was real," he wrote.

"I was born with sickle cell disease. It was life and death, it was physical, mental, and financial, you name it and I went through it all. It was tough, painful and frustrating. I lived with a sickness no one around me understood. I lived with restrictions all my childhood.

 

The father of one recounted how he was deprived of the fun parts of childhood because of the illness.

 

"I wasn't able to join some of the most minor childhood play and liberating activities like going out in the rain. The times when I insisted and rebelled against my parents' orders and went out in the rain, I would end up having a crisis," he recounted.

 

"The nights were painful and lonely, nights that no one could help me get through. It was just me, God and my mind. The pains and shivers were unbearable."

 

AG as he is fondly called shared the harrowing nights he had a crisis and how his poor family could hardly afford to take care of his hospital bills.

 

"They always came in the night, when my family had no means to transport me to a hospital. We simply couldn't afford the constant hospital bill so I had no choice but to endure the pain," he shared.

 

"My mum wanted me to be well. She did her best. She took me to all the churches she could find. I'm grateful for her because she saw the future in me. A future where no illness or sickness could hold me back from my purpose, from the life I was destined to live."

 

"Sickle cell disease took away my freedom, my childhood. I lost friends, a lot of them. Some didn't understand the restrictions and rules I had to live by, some just didn't want to deal with my illness or thought it was a nasty or contagious disease that they could catch. I was a burden for some, living with sickle cell is far from living a normal life.

 

The award-winning singer highlighted the time he begged God to take his life because of the unbearable pains.

 

"One of the most intense crises I had was at the age of 20, I remember laying in my bed in the middle of the night asking for an end to it all. I begged God to take my life away because I couldn't understand what I did to deserve the pain my body and mind was under. As usual with sickle cell after some days, the pain subsided and God asked me; "that end you begged me for, do you still want it?"

 

"Of course, I said no and that's when everything changed for me. That's when I realized that I had been given another opportunity to live my dreams and to show those that mocked me that sickle cell anemia was never going to end me; that it was never going to hold me back from my dreams and aspirations.

 

Adekunle revealed that despite the pains he still undergoes every now and then, he has mastered the art of resilience.

 

"My body caves in once in a while, some symptoms come back but what this disease has taught me is resilience. Sickle cell anemia gave me hope, made me tough, gave me the discipline I needed to be who I am today, built my character. I mean I went through a whole 5 weeks of back-to-back performances and didn't fall sick. Grace.

 

"My mind and body were challenged and I'm stronger, more determined and ready to take on the world. I am ready for Adekunle Gold Supremacy. I am ready to live and enjoy the 5-star life that I deserve, that my body toiled for.

 

"I'm sharing my testimony with you because I hope that you can find strength in my truth. Some ailments hold us back but I'm thankful this hasn't. I want to encourage you in whatever it is you're going through, know that there is hope. You are strong and you must not give up. You can do this. Victory lies at the end for you just as it did for me.

 

On a final note, he penned a message to sickle cell warriors, advising them to stay strong.

 

"If you know anyone going through any struggle, physical, health, mental, be kind! Show compassion! In fact, be kind to everyone, you just never know what they are dealing with privately. Be supportive, be gentle and love endlessly," he advised.

 

"If you are a sickler, know that the disease does not define you. Don't allow it to limit your dream or cap your potential. Spread your wings and dream big! Hope to see you soaring the big skies."

 

Adekunle Almoruf Kosoko, popularly known as Adekunle Gold and AG Baby, is a Nigerian highlife singer and songwriter.

 

He gained prominence after releasing the 2015 hit single "Sade", a highlife cover of One Direction's "Story of My Life".

 

He is married to music star Simi and they have a daughter together.

South-East needs politicians like Tinubu – Ohanaeze

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 02:21 AM PDT

 


Apex Igbo socio-political organization, Ohanaeze Ndigbo worldwide, has said the South-East needs politicians like the All Progressives Congress, APC, presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu.

 

Okechukwu Isiguzoro, the Secretary General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, said Tinubu dominates the political atmosphere of the South-West by working hard.

 

Isiguzoro pointed out that the APC presidential candidate is fair to other tribes.

 

In a statement he signed, Isiguzoro said the former Lagos State Governor introduced other tribes to mainstream politics.

 

He urged South-East governors and politicians to emulate such a feat by Tinubu.

 

The Ohanaeze chieftain lamented that many Igbo elites have failed to make a positive impact on the zone like Tinubu had done in the South-West.

 

According to Isiguzoro: "The political misfortunes of the South-East are traced to the individualistic selfishness of desperate APC governors in the South-East and some South-East senators who are de-marketing the zone, their actions promoted the insecurity and economic challenges of the zone.

 

"Ndigbo need the type of leaders like APC Presidential candidate, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, who has worked hard for the South-West to regain control of mainstream politics. Tinubu was fair to all in Lagos as governor.

 

"He introduced all tribesmen in governance and empowered them, and it's not late for South-East governors and leaders to emulate him. This is the best way to regain control of the political spectrum of the East, which is in the hands of non-state actors."

Osun election: Oyetola calls for peaceful poll

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 02:19 AM PDT

 


Governor Gboyega Oyetola has warned against violence and disorderliness as residents cast their votes in the Osun gubernatorial election.

 

Oyetola, in a tweet on his Twitter page, called on residents to exercise their rights peacefully.

 

Voting has commenced in some polling units in the State.

 

"My good people of Osun,As we go to the polls today, let us go about it peacefully. Let us eschew violence, brigandage, disorderliness or anything that could disrupt the peaceful atmosphere we all have been enjoying in the State.

 

"As stakeholders, it is our responsibility to ensure that Osun maintain its status as the most peaceful state in Nigeria.

 

"Let me in particular, appeal to members and supporters of our great party, the All Progressives Congress, APC, to exercise their civic rights peacefully," Oyetola wrote on Twitter.

Osun Decides: Adeleke casts vote in Ede

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 02:17 AM PDT


 

The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, governorship candidate in the Osun governorship election, Senator Ademola Adeleke has cast his vote at the ongoing Osun State governorship election.

 

He cast his vote at Unit 009, Ward 02, Abogunde/Sagba, Ede North in Osun State at about 8:50 am.

EPL: He has big experience, perfect addition – Tuchel speaks on Chelsea’s latest signing

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 01:45 AM PDT


Chelsea manager, Thomas Tuchel has hailed the arrival of Kalidou Koulibaly from Napoli.


The Premier League club on Saturday morning, confirmed a £34m transfer for the 31-year-old.


Tuchel has now described Koulibaly as a strong player who has "big experience" and will be "a perfect addition" to his squad.


He said: "I'm very happy about his signing and joining our team.


"He's now the second signing of the summer.


"Again we have a strong player, a strong personality with big experience and from our point of view a perfect addition to our group."


Koulibaly scored 14 goals in 317 appearances for Napoli.

2023 Elections: Voter Registration ends July 31 – INEC

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 01:41 AM PDT



The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced that the Continuous Voter Registration (CVR) in Nigeria will end July 31.


Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Festus Okoye issued a statement after a meeting of the commission on Friday.


Okoye noted that the decision followed the judgement delivered by the Federal High Court on Wednesday.


The court dismissed the suit filed by the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) seeking an extension of the exercise beyond June 30.


The court affirmed that INEC is at liberty to appoint a date of its choice to suspend the CVR, provided it is not later than 90 days before the date fixed for the general election as provided in Sec. 9(6) of the Electoral Act 2022.


The national commissioner recalled that the CVR was already extended for a period of 15 days and that with the judgement, all legal encumbrances have been removed.


"The CVR is hereby extended for another two weeks until Sunday 31st July 2022, thereby bringing the total duration of the extension to 31 days (1st – 31st July 2022)", he said.


The registration has been extended to eight hours daily from 9.00am – 5.00pm instead of the current 9.00am – 3.00pm.


The commission further approved the exercise to include weekends (Saturdays and Sundays) as against only weekdays.


INEC appealed to eligible citizens not to wait until the last few days before they inundate the centres again to register.


The statement said there is a lot that the commission is required to do under the electoral legal framework in relation to voter registration and compilation.


These include the clean-up of the register to remove multiple registrants using the Automated Biometric Identification System (ABIS).


The printing of national register of voters (existing voters and new registrants) and display same on Polling Unit basis for each of the 8,809 Registration Areas (Wards) across the 774 Local Government Areas.


INEC said on the basis of a new projection of 95 million voters and on the basis of 10 voters per page, the commission has to print 9,500,000 pages for the display.


The electoral umpire explained that it would print millions of Permanent Voters' Cards (PVCs) for fresh registrants and applicants for transfer and replacement of PVCs.


Also to be done is the printing of the final register of voters in triplicate for the 2023 election, involving a projected 28,500,000 pages for accreditation and display at 176,846 polling units for national elections.


The presidential and National Assembly elections will be held on February 25, 2023; State elections (governorship and State Assembly) on March 11, 2023.

PHOTONEWS: EFCC operatives storm Osun to curb vote buying

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 01:37 AM PDT

 


Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) have stormed Osun State to curb vote buying in the Osun governorship election.


As at 8:15am on Saturday, the operatives were still at the Freedom Park, Old Garage, Osogbo, the State capital.





2023: Peter Obi can only be President in Igbo land – Tinubu’s running mate, Shettima

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 12:37 AM PDT


The All Progressives Congress, APC, presidential running mate, Kashim Shettima, has said the Labour Party, LP, presidential candidate cannot become Nigeria's president.


Shettima said Obi can only become president in Igbo land and not in Nigeria.


Appearing on Channels TV's Politics Today on Friday, he explained that Obi lacked the requisite experience to rule Nigeria.


He stressed that the LP's presidential candidate lacked the structure and political base to win the 2023 election.


According to Shettima, Nigeria is too big for the former Anambra State governor to handle.


He said: "The Presidential candidate of the Labour Party, Peter Obi has no political base and structure to win the next coming election in 2023. As far as I am concerned, he's politically structureless with little or no experience to lead this country.


"Presidential position is not for the unprepared, neither is it an all comers affairs. Peter Obi can only become a President in Igbo land but definitely not in Nigeria. Nigeria is too big for him to handle.


"He has no leadership ideology nor experience like President Muhammadu and our incoming President in the person of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu."

Bandits kidnap CAN Chairman, another Catholic priest in Kaduna

Posted: 16 Jul 2022 12:28 AM PDT


Gunmen suspected to be bandits have kidnapped two Catholic priests in Kaduna State.


It was leant that the two priests: Reverend Father John Cheitnum and Reverend Father Donatus Cleopas were abducted by bandits at Yadin Gura in Lere Local Government of Kaduna State.


In a statement on Friday night, signed by the Chancellor of Kafanchan Catholic Diocese, Reverend Father Emmanuel Okolo, he said Reverend Father Cheitnum is the Chairman, Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, in Jema'a Local Government Area of the State.


He added that the two priests were kidnapped on Friday, while on their way to a function at the Rectory of Christ the King Catholic Church in Yadin Gura.


The Chancellor solicited intense prayers for the quick and safe release of the priests.


As of the time of filing this report, the bandits have not called to demand any ransom.


Catholic priests in Kaduna have come under attack by armed bandits in recent times.


Reverend Father Vitus Borogo was killed two months ago while working on his farm at Kujama, while several others have been kidnapped.


The Kaduna Police Command's Public Relations Officer, DSP Mohammed Jalige did not pick his calls for confirmation of the incident.

Osun Decides 2022: Who win Osun governorship polls today?

Posted: 15 Jul 2022 04:24 PM PDT

 

The Osun State governorship election is here. The D-day fixed by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) is Saturday, July 16, 2022 (today)

Over 1,500,000 registered voters who have so far collected their Permanent Voter Cards will decide the next governor of Osun State during the state governorship election holding on Saturday.

The frontline contestants in the election are Governor Adegboyega Oyetola of the All Progressives Congress; Ademola Adeleke of the Peoples Democractic Party; Lasun Yusuff of Labour Party; Akin Ogunbiyi of Accord Party; and Goke Omigbodun of Social Democratic Party among others.

Below we look at a brief profile of the major candidates for Osun governorship polls today.

Adegboyega Oyetola (APC)

An indigene of Iragbiji in Osun State also the incumbent Governor, Oyetola has been preaching continuity everywhere he has campaigned so far. As an alumnus of the University of Lagos, he came into the governance set up in Osun State in 2011, when he was appointed as the Chief of Staff by the immediate past governor of Osun, Rauf Aregbesola.

Before his venture into politics, Oyetola had 30 years of cognate experience in the private sector, engaging in diverse businesses. He held the position of Chief of Staff till the twilight of Aregbesola's tenure in 2018 when he emerged as the APC candidate, and went on to win the governorship poll at the runoff, having trailed the PDP candidate in the first ballot.

Oyetola, backed by a campaign team led by the Senate spokesperson, Senator Basiru Ajibola, has visited all the 30 local government areas in the state, making specific promises based on the demands laid before him.

Specifically, Oyetola has promised to improve education, by ensuring more monitoring using the Quality Assurance Committee and Edu Marshal to check ruancy among the pupils.

He also assured more support for the Amotekun Corps to prevent crime, expressing a desire for the operatives to bear arms since they would be after criminals carrying sophisticated weapons.

Ademola Adeleke (PDP)

He replaced his elder brother, Senator Isiaka Adeleke, in the Senate at the demise of the man who served as the first civilian governor of Osun in the aborted Third Republic.

Adeleke's political stock since his election into the Senate in 2017 has continued to rise, having been the PDP candidate in the 2018 election and then holding a slender lead over the candidate of the ruling party at the poll, Oyetola.

Although Adeleke eventually lost the runoff election to Oyetola, his party's decision to give him another chance to run provides him with a second chance at the governorship in 2022.

He has promised improved security by providing better equipment for police and utilising neighbourhood watch to supplement the efforts of traditional security agents.

He has also promised investment in agriculture to empower unemployed youth, while education, if elected, he said, would be made more flexible to enable pupils to learn vocation alongside formal education.

Akin Ogunbiyi (Accord)

The Chairman, Mutual Assurance Benefits, an insurance company, is contesting the governorship poll on the platform of the Accord Party and has traversed every part of Osun seeking votes.

Ogunbiyi cut his political teeth with the PDP, where he contested the 2018 governorship ticket of the party but lost it by seven votes to Senator Ademola Adeleke.

Since 2018, the Ileogbo-born businessman has remained one of the dominant forces in Osun political space, and his new party appears to have gained traction since he joined it. He was an alumnus of the University of Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife) where he bagged a degree in Agriculture Economics.

Job creation through mining and agriculture topped the campaign promises of Ogunbiyi, as he assured that 100, 000 jobs would be created within one year of his administration, while security through recruitment of more capable men into the Amotekun Corps would also be given utmost attention.

Besides meeting different groups across the state and unfolding his plans before them, Ogunbiyi has also been using a mobile public address system mounted on vehicles to push his campaign messages in major towns.

Goke Omigbodun (SDP)

Omigbodun of the SDP is the only indigene of Osogbo, where the majority of the voters are domiciled, in the governorship race and has a rich family history that he can leverage to ride into power.

His late father, Ven. Julius Omigbodun, was the first graduate in Osun Division, and he served as the pioneer principal of the Osogbo Grammar School and the first Chairman of the then Osogbo District Council.

Omigbodun is an alumnus of the University of Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife), where he bagged a first degree and a Masters in Architecture. He worked with Chief Bisi Akande's government, serving as the Chairman of Osun State Property Development Corporation.

He was also the State Programme Monitoring Adviser of the United Nations Development Program in Osun and also worked in the administration of the ex-Osun governor, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, as a Special Adviser to the Governor on Inter-Party Relations.

Omigbodun's well-structured campaign has been based on education, revitalisation of the economy through trading and the use of technology to fight crime and generate income. Also, at every opportunity to campaign, Omigbodun has spoken on the need to block leakages in government finances.

Lasun Yusuff (Labour Party)

The Ilobu-born ex-federal lawmaker was in the House of Representatives for two terms between 2011 and 2019, capping his tenure with the seat of the Deputy Speaker, which he occupied between 2015 and 2019.

Also, an alumnus of the University of Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University), where he bagged a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Yusuff has been ever present in Osun's political space, especially since the return of democracy in 1999.

His tenure as a member representing Osogbo/Olorunda/Irepodun/Orolu Federal Constituency at the Green Chamber was a period of boom for many members that were either appointed as aides or empowered through other means.

Lasun Yusuff was a member of the APC until a few months back, when he resigned his membership. He later joined the Labour Party and emerged as its governorship candidate.

The ex-parliamentarian, who often prides himself on being one of the biggest investors in the economy of Osogbo, is promising economic empowerment for women and the creation of a strong economy that will be agri-based, where people can trade and make the taxable income that the government can use to run the state.

Kindly keep your tabs on nigerianeye.com today for a full coverage of the 2022 Osun governorship election 

Reasons why I closed Nigerian land borders - Buhari

Posted: 15 Jul 2022 03:46 PM PDT

 

President Muhammadu Buhari, Friday in Daura, Katsina State, said he decided to close land borders for two years for the benefit of farmers.

The President has also lauded the nation's farmers for the record production of rice and other food commodities, expressing satisfaction that the agricultural policies of the administration are working to good effect.


President Buhari said his administration had taken various decisions including the closure of land borders for two years for the benefit of farmers who were the driving force of the rural economy, expressing happiness that these had worked well for the nation.

 

Speaking to the elected Local Government Council chairmen from Katsina state on a visit to pay homage to him marking the Sallah, President Buhari said "I have a good understanding of the country and its people. That is why we instituted those agricultural policies. I said we must grow what we eat and eat what we grow.


 This is a country that was once dependent on foreign rice. We closed the border to foreign rice. I said why can't we eat Nigerian rice, and with the policies put in place, Nigerians are eating home grown rice." 

President Buhari also played up the successful implementation of the Treasury Single Account, TSA saying money had been saved from unscrupulous government officials.


"I found a tough man (Hamid Ali) for the job at the Customs. One day, he came to me and saying that they had intercepted 20 fuel tankers about to cross the border. I said to him sell the fuel and the tankers and put the money in TSA. Before this time, that money would have found its way to the numerous mysterious 'government' accounts."

 

On the suggestion by Alhaji Ya'u Umar Gojo-Gojo, the Commissioner of Local Governments and Chieftaincy Affairs, who led the council chairmen that the agricultural policies of the administration be made into law to ensure continuity under the all incoming administrations, President Buhari said such good policies will commend themselves to any government.


Gojo-Gojo commended the President for initiating several measures to transform agriculture in order to increase farmers' income during the last seven years.


He told the President that before this time, Katsina people knew how to eat rice but had no inkling as to grow and process it.


"Today Mr. President," said the Commissioner, "rice is grown in all our communities. There are at least 30 small scale rice processing mills in the state. People have embraced animal husbandry and they are making a lot of money."


The Commissioner also briefed the President about the security situation in the state, saying that the state's amended security law had brought everyone into the mix- state government, local governments, traditional rulers and the ordinary citizens with each one playing their part in helping to reduce the worrisome security threats facing the state.


President Buhari reiterated his earlier statement that the farm in Daura, handed to him by his forefather was the next thing on his mind when he leaves of office next year.

Northern Christians protest Muslim-Muslim ticket at Aso Rock

Posted: 15 Jul 2022 03:31 PM PDT

 

Many Christians in buses from the 19 northern states, on Friday, stormed Abuja to protest the Muslim-Muslim ticket adopted by the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu.

The demonstrators, under the aegis of the All Christians Community of Northern Nigeria, were seen chanting solidarity songs while marching to the Presidential Villa to submit a protest letter.

The development was coming two days after a coalition of Northern Christian Youths had kicked against the party's decision to opt for a Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket in the 2023 general election.

The coalition, which was an amalgamation of the APC Christian youths in the 19 northern states, vowed that its
members would not go against their conscience and faith by campaigning for a joint Muslim ticket.

While accusing the APC presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, of betraying the trust of Nigerians by selecting former Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima, as running mate. The group described the development as a slap on Northern Christians.

Addressing newsmen in Abuja on Friday, the leader of the northern demonstrators, Moses Adams, expressed concerns that Christians were being relegated into oblivion by politicians entrusted with public trust.

He said, "Our sensibilities have been insulted by the ambition of a selected few that have elected to throw caution in the wind.

"As you may be aware, Nigeria is a multi-ethnic and multi-religious state. The two major religions in the country are Islam and Christianity. And these have defined our way of life since the country attained independence in 1960. Successive governments in the country have respected the multi-religious nature of the country, especially during elections, to create a balance in the leadership of the country.

"We are, therefore, alarmed by the decision of the APC to disregard the Christian community in the choice of its vice-presidential candidate for the 2023 presidential election. Without mincing words, this is unacceptable and a recipe for creating sharp divides between the Muslims and the Christians in the country."

Moses also made available the protest letter which his group directed to the President Muhammadu Buhari.

According to him, Tinubu's decision to run with Shettima is not in the best interest of the country in this critical period of our existence.

The statement partly read, "Mr. President, since the return of democracy in 1999 to Nigeria, the tradition has been a Muslim-Christian or Christian-Muslim pairing by all political parties. And this has, to a large extent, ensured religious harmony in the country.


"However, the move by our party to adopt a Muslim-Muslim ticket is most insensitive and the height of discrimination against Christians in our country. This is on the heels that other political parties indeed reflected the religious balance in the composition of their presidential team," he added.

"Your Excellency, sir, we, the Christians in northern Nigeria, are displeased and angered by this insensitivity. By their action, the APC sent a strong message that Christians are not relevant in the scheme of things in the country.

"The APC has also displayed religious intolerance that would eventually bring about religious tension in the country if not reversed in the overarching objective of entrenching peace and tranquility. 

"As stakeholders in the APC, we know that there are credible Christians in the APC from northern Nigeria and other parts of the country who are dedicated and have outstanding credentials that could make the vice-presidential slot.

"We are using this medium to appeal to your good office to intervene in reversing this ignoble move by the party's presidential candidate. We demand that you invite the presidential candidate of the party to quickly retrace his steps immediately."

OSUN ELECTION: NURTW chairman arrested in Osogbo with guns, cutlasses

Posted: 15 Jul 2022 03:21 PM PDT

 


Nigerian soldiers who were deployed for the Osun governorship election have arrested the Chairman of the National Union of Road Transport Worker, Oroki Branch, in Osogbo, Kazeem Oyewale, popularly known as 'Asiri Eniba.'

Oyewale, who is the NURTW Chairman, Olorunda unit was reportedly picked up in the afternoon at his Ojurin, Osogbo motor park office by soldiers.

The development, it was learnt threw Old Garage Area where the park is located into panic, as many drivers and passengers waiting to board to different destinations fled the scene.

It would be recalled that the Osun state leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party, recently said it had written several petitions, accusing NURTW boss of masterminding attacks on its members to security agents.

An eye witness who preferred anonymity while narrating how Oyewale was whisked away during a chat with newsmen said, "the soldiers arrested him in his office. They came into two vehicles.

"We can't say where he was taken for now but he was arrested this afternoon in his office Ojurin, Osogbo."

Efforts to get official confirmation of the arrest however proved futile as the spokesperson of Osun Police Command, Yemisi Opalola, said she was not aware of the arrest.

2023: INEC speaks on suit seeking disqualification of Tinubu, Peter Obi

Posted: 15 Jul 2022 02:56 PM PDT


The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, on Friday reacted to a suit seeking to disqualify the All Progressives Congress, APC, presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu and his Labour Party, LP, counterpart, Peter Obi, from participating in the 2023 election.


The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, had dragged INEC to court and sought an injunction stopping Tinubu and Obi from selecting Kashim Shettima and Datti Baba-Ahmed as their running mates.


In the suit, PDP urged the court to rule that Tinubu and Obi should be disqualified if they fail to run with their initial running mates, Kabiru Masari and Doyin Okupe.


Reacting, INEC's Commissioner for confirmation and Education, Festus Okoye, said only the court would decide Tinubu and Obi's disqualification from the 2023 presidential election.


Speaking on Arise TV on Friday, Okoye said INEC has not been served with the court processes.


He said; "So, I am not aware of whether we've been served with any document relating to any suit of the complexion that you have talked about. But let me just say that if a matter is in court, the matter is sub-judice and we are not supposed to comment on it. Secondly, when political parties submitted the names of their presidential candidates and their vice-presidential candidates, there was no provision for a placeholder in the forms they submitted.


"They submitted the forms for their presidential candidates and they submitted the forms for the vice-presidential candidates and that is the situation.


"However, if you look at section 33 of the Electoral 22, it says that a political party shall not be allowed to substitute or change its candidate whose name has been submitted under section 29 of the Electoral Act, except in the case of death or withdrawal by the candidate. But it goes ahead to say that provided that in the case of such a withdrawal or death of the candidate, the political parties affected shall within the occurrence of the event hold a fresh primary election to produce and submit a fresh candidate to the commission for the election concerned."


Initially, Tinubu had submitted Masari's name to INEC as a placeholder ahead of the deadline for submission of running mates.


Also, Obi submitted the name of Okupe as his placeholder.


However, Tinubu and Obi substituted the initial names with Kashim Shettima and Baba-Ahmed respectively.

Akwa Ibom: Police rescue 28 fish traders kidnapped by sea pirates

Posted: 15 Jul 2022 12:53 PM PDT


Akwa Ibom State Police Command on Friday rescued 28 fish traders from Ishiet market, who were kidnapped by sea pirates along the Uruan Water Channel, in Uruan Local Government Area of the state.


The state Commissioner of Police, Olatoye Durosinmi, disclosed this at the command headquarters, Ikot Akpanabia while interacting with journalists in Uyo, the state capital.


The commissioner stated that as soon as he got a call on the attack from the local government chairman of Uruan, Iniobong Ekpenyong, he mobilized the marine officers to the scene who were able to rescue the victims at the creeks where they were held hostage all through the night.


He explained that the pirates always pose as fishermen to carry out their nefarious act on unsuspecting passengers.


According to him, "The 28 men and women you see here are the people rescued by police marine officers.


"On Thursday July the 14, at about 10:00pm, the Akwa Ibom State Police Command received a distress call from the Chairman of Uruan Local Government Area, Hon. Iniobong Ekpeyong, that a boat conveying fish traders from Ishiet market in Adiadia community had been attacked and occupants kidnapped by sea pirates along the Uruan Water Channel.


"We mobilised Tactical Teams and the Command's Marine Police to go after the hoodlums.


"At about 1:30pm today, July the 15th, the Akwa Ibom State Marine Police, who had been trailing the hoodlums, closed in on them after an aggressive search, causing the evil Men to abandon their victims at the creeks after robbing them of various sums of money, macheted two and burnt one of their engine boats.


"Victims were successfully rescued and brought to the Akwa Ibom State Police Headquarters and those in need of medical attention were taken to the police Clinic for treatment.


He said detachments of the marine officers are still trailing the fleeing hoodlums even as he promised to continue to ensure that the state both land and water remain safe for the people.


One of the victims, Iboro Asuquo, who spoke to journalists, said, 'The thieves collected everything from us, they collected millions of naira from different people."


Also, one Victoria Pious from Uruan, narrated that they thought the hoodlums were fishermen when they accosted them, adding that they were taken aback when they fired a gunshot in the air.


She said the pirates ripped them of all their belongings and went as far as stripping her to ensure that nothing was hidden in her privates.

Peacekeeping: Fallen Nigerian soldiers to be immortalized in Liberia

Posted: 15 Jul 2022 12:50 PM PDT

 


The Armed Forces of Liberia (AFL) is set to immortalize officers and soldiers of the Nigerian Army (NA), who paid the supreme sacrifice during peacekeeping operations in the country.

 

The Nigerian Army in a statement signed by its Director of Public Relations, Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu, said the Chief of Staff (COS), Armed Forces of Liberia, Major General Prince Charles Johnson III disclosed this on Friday, July 15, 2022, during a courtesy call on the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lieutenant General Faruk Yahaya at the Army Headquarters, Abuja.

 

Nwachukwu said during the visit, the COS conveyed the appreciation of the Armed Forces of Liberia for the sacrifices rendered by Nigerian troops to the people of Liberia, in restoring peace during the internal strife experienced in the country.

 

According to him, "He eulogized the NA for the technical assistance rendered through the Economic Community of West Africa States (ECOWAS), support team, which he said has ushered in a new Armed Forces of Liberia. The Liberian Armed Forces Chief called for more collaboration and bilateral relations in the area of training".

 

The director of Army Public Relations stated that responding, the Chief of Army Staff(COAS), Lieutenant General Faruk Yahaya noted that the NA will continue to leverage on the experiences gathered during peacekeeping operations in Liberia, in the discharge of its constitutional roles.

 

"He assured the visiting Chief of Staff, AFL of continuous support, especially in the area of capacity development, adding that the NA has a long standing relationship with the Liberians and will continue to extend the warm hands of friendship to the AFL," the statement added..

 

The event was witnessed by Principal Staff Officers of the Army Headquarters,.

 

The highlight of the visit was the exchange of souvenirs by the COAS and the AFL Chief of Staff.

Nigerians discussing religion, others advancing in technology —Shettima on Muslim-Muslim ticket

Posted: 15 Jul 2022 12:48 PM PDT



Kashim Shettima, running mate of Bola Tinubu, presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), says Nigerians should look beyond religion when electing leaders.

 

Shettima's nomination as Tinubu's running mate has drawn criticism from the public because both of them are Muslims.

 

Speaking on Friday when he received a visit from an APC group led by Mohammed Hassan, a former Nigerian ambassador to the US, the former Borno governor said the task before him and Tinubu is to transform the country.

 

The vice-presidential candidate added that there is no plan by Tinubu to Islamise the country.

 

"Now, we are in the knowledge-driven age, in other clans, people are talking of nanotechnology, biotechnology, quick data, and artificial intelligence, while we are busy here talking about herdsmen, farmers/herders clash, rural banditry, kidnapping, battling with Boko Haram and talking about religious mix," NAN quoted him as saying.

 

"The task before us is to transform this nation into a just and fair society where everyone will have a sense of belonging. We should learn to accommodate and embrace each other.

 

"They are accusing him of an attempt to Islamise the country. Has he started with Islamising his own family?

 

 "Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, yes, his running mate might be a Muslim, but his life mate for over 40 years is not only a Christian, but a pastor at the Redeemed Christian Church of God.

 

"He did not enforce his own Islamic faith on his own children. He was the first governor to hand over mission schools to the owners, and he has groomed people from all walks of life."

 

On his part, Hassan said they were in Shettima's home to inform him of an upcoming town hall meeting, where the APC candidates can discuss their plans for Nigeria. 

Owo massacre: Akeredolu moves to tackle insecurity in Ondo

Posted: 15 Jul 2022 12:46 PM PDT


Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, the Governor of Ondo State and Chairman of the South West Governors' Forum, has said that in the wake of the June 5 tragic attack at Saint Francis Catholic Church, Owo, his government can no longer afford to let down the people of the state.


Akeredolu promised to find all criminals hiding in the State and make life difficult for them, claiming that his administration placed a high value on human dignity.


In order to further reinforce the protection of people and property in the state, the governor said this on Friday while donating 50 fitted patrol vehicles to all the security agencies in the state.


The heads of the state's security agencies, including the Army, Navy, Nigeria Police, Civil Defense Corps, Department of the State Services (DSS), and Amotekun Corps were on ground at the Governor's Office to receive the fitted patrol vehicles.


According to the governor, the move was to further prove his administration's dedication to giving the security services operating in the State the support they require.


"We still recall with trepidation the dastardly act of last month when some daredevil terrorists who have lost their souls to the devil launched an attack at the St. Francis Catholic Church, Owaluwa in the ancient city of Owo.


"One of my promises then to the people of Ondo State was to do everything humanly possible to strengthen the capacity of our security agencies to be able to anticipate, prevent and combat a recurrence of such man's inhumanity to mankind."

Buhari reacts to ‘DSS report against Tinubu-Shettima’ APC ticket

Posted: 15 Jul 2022 12:44 PM PDT

 

President Muhammadu Buhari has denied that he got advice against the Bola Tinubu-Kashim Shettima ticket.

 

The former Lagos governor announced the ex-Borno governor and Senator as his running mate after visiting Buhari in Daura, Katsina state.

 

On Friday, Peoples Gazette reported that the Department of State Service (DSS) warned about the Muslim-Muslim ticket of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

 

But the President through spokesman Garba Shehu debunked the information in a statement.

 

The media aide advised Nigerians to "ignore a laughably puerile report by an apparently pirate online newspaper seeking to sow division and chaos on the choice of Governor Kashim Shettima as the Running Mate of our Party's Presidential Candidate, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu".

 

It was reported that senior security agents fear that the Tinubu-Shettima ticket may lead to renewed sectarian crisis that could destabilise Nigeria.

 

The DSS document was said to have been forwarded to the President through the National Security Adviser, NSA, Babagana Monguno.

 

It cautioned Tinubu to consider the security implications of his selection before making it public.

 

"Our understanding is that the alliance will destabilise Nigeria and embolden attacks on Christian citizens from their fellow Muslim citizens.

 

"The distrust Christians are likely to harbour against a presidency occupied by two Muslims won't make our work easy at national security level", an intelligence operative was quoted saying.

 

The official added that Buhari was not involved in the talks that led to Tinubu's announcement of Shettima.

 

The intelligence report was reportedly commissioned after Tinubu commenced consultations on a Muslim running mate after he emerged as the APC presidential flagbearer early June.


Police rearrest another Kuje Prison escapee in Katsina

Posted: 15 Jul 2022 12:34 PM PDT

 


The Police in Katsina State on Friday succeeded in rearresting another fugitive suspected to have escaped from Kuje Prison, Abuja.

 

The 33-year-old suspect, identified as Kamala Lawal, was arrested during a police raid of a criminal hideout in Danmusa Local Government Area

 

Spokesperson of the state command, SP Gambo Isah, paraded the suspect along with others at the Force headquarter on Friday.

 

According to SP Gambo, the Kuje prison runaway was arrested by the Dutsinma DPO and his team based on credible information.

 

The suspected fugitive had in his possession some quantity of dried leaves suspected to be Indian hemp when the police clamped down on him.

 

SP Gambo said: "Based on credible information, DPO Danmusa, and team carried out raids at suspected criminal hideouts in Danmusa LGA and succeeded in arresting one Kamala Lawal Abubakar, aged 33 years of Unguwar Sale Quarters, Danmusa LGA, a suspected fugitive from Kuje prison, Abuja.

 

"In the course of investigation, the suspect confessed to have escaped from Kuje Prison, Abuja, during the recent Kuje jailbreak.

 

"Suspect will be handed over to the Nigerian Correctional Service, for further necessary action."

No comments: